Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mail Order Manager Helpers - The product is good. We make it better! Options

Recently, I read a post that was so absurd that I couldn't remain silent... here is the post.
*************************************** My first and last post...
It is my opinioin, that the statement from this person that MOM is 'worthless and loaded with errors' is inaccurate and inappropriate. I don't know this person and don't have a specific personel problem with them. It is just not correct.

I'm not responding for personal gain and I'm not supporting the originator of this message either. So, please don't misunderstand my response. My motivation is that I have used many products over the past 20 years and this is eating at me. False statements don't help anyone. I can't let this comment go. I tried.

So, here goes...
Yes. The software is a Windows applicaton and is familiar to the most user before purchase. Yes. Many users think... How hard can it be? Looks like Word, Excel, etc.

Yes. Your tech guy is smart. But, he doesn't know this total solution - MOM.

Yes. Data converted through Excel files sounds simple. But, don't kid yourself. It isn't that simple. It only works in the most basic situations.

Yes. The problems begin when the sales staff encourages the user to go it alone and save money. Don't believe any sales person. He wants the sale.

Yes. Users get frustrated and angry due to the imprudent approach to the software, networking, etc. that they end up initially taking.

Yes. At times, the end result is a boondoggle -- due to poor networking, data conversion, installation, set-up, training, or basic operational understanding.... and more...

The fact is that the application is a very powerful and flexible software solution. Many of the people I speak with every day start out by cursing at me -- they don't even know me. Yeah, I get it. It's not me. Maybe, it is me - ask my wife. But, after nearly 17 years, it gets old. The facts are that the user is smart and can't get it right. Not their fault - entirely. However, the surprise cost of consulting after they've spent their budget is enraging. Turn down the volume. I get that part.

Anyway, if we get past this, many of these very same people and companies become long-term clients that consider us a valued business partners. Why? The most important reason is because my company has experience with the software and most importantly in the business, many industries and almost all of the processes. We help client's to exponentially leverage the software to help them grow, control and manage their business. The product is good. We make it better. Use us or not. No problem. It is a good product.

Does the software company do things wrong? You bet. They miss a lot of the big picture. Basic business is lacking. However, I've been around, never a part of, the company for the better part of 17 years. So, I know. They use to recommend me and my company. They don't anymore. No problem. So, I have more liberty to express my true thoughts. Bottom line: The quality of the product and the low price makes it a great solution - when used properly. You win! Some users realize this and get help. Others, scrap it and prove to be short-sighted. They don't realize that the basic program, for over 10 years, will handle over 2 million orders, 4 million customers, 5 million line items. It will process 3,000+ credit cards per hour. It will print and process thousands of orders per hour. It is designed to handle the business activity that most of the users will never approach in a hundred years. This means, when installed and used properly:
- It will not crash.
- It will not require any, not even one, full-time staff to operate.
- It will simplify your operation.
- It is a great solution!

Do you re-index every day? Why? 'Cause you were told to. Unreal! Embarrasing! That is technical jargon. It is not the answer to daily problems. It may solve the immediate sympton. But, it is not the answer. If you have a problem with data (like some of our client's before using us), it is a sympton that there is another problem. Once this is corrected, you will begin to experience the power of the solution and no longer fight with daily symptons.
Fact. We have had many client's that once they began to use us have not had a sympton for weeks, months, years.... It is a good product. I know you don't trust me. However, I know what I'm talking about and I've been doing this for almost 20 years. So, I know what I'm doing. The proof is the list of companies that trust me and my company.
Free advice. Don't turn-on automatic updating. Why? If the software company makes a mistake, it becomes your operational nightmare. It doesn't make sense to leave work tonight and come in tomorrow to a different version of the software, any software. Period.
Free advice. Make sure your system is backed up daily. Your backup should include not only this software but other critical applications -- accounting, website design, etc. Information that you collect and takes time and is valuable should be backed up if it important to your business.
Free advice. Software companies act in their best interest - not in yours. So, remember that before you upgrade, update, or choose a solution.
Free advice. They sell software. They are not business experts. They are technicians and sales people. They know their software. They don't know your business.
Free advice. You don't have the expertise to do data conversion on your own. You don't have the expertise to install and set-up the software properly to match your operation. You can't get basic training from the software company and understand how it should work for you. You will need help if you want to take full advantage of the features. Expect, budget and plan for it. You will be happier because you did.
Free advice. If installed and used properly, the sofware will simplify many of the complex processes of your e-commerce, mail-order, call- center, and fulfillment operation. However, don't confuse familiarity with simplicity. The fundamental problem with the software is the way it sold. They don't understand how to sell software and think that every added cost will reduce user interest. The basic issue is that business expects costs. They just don't like surprise costs. Therefore, the statement 'if installed and used properly' is critical to the experience.
Warning. Unfortunately, in our experience, the users/buyers are encouraged to transfer information from their proir system using Excel files, Install the software on there existing network, set-up the software on their own (a little help from the sales/suppot staff), and take command of an extremely complex and flexible application on their own. General training might work in accounting where there are industry standards, but in an industry as vast as direct marketing, it doesn't work. So, plan on getting expert help. You will need help - not for long. But, you will need it. If you get it from my company, it will not be free. But, it will be worth it.
I hope that this added value to your day. Thanks for your time.
-Brian Mail Order Manager Helpers, Inc.
***************************************************************************­********** To learn more about Mail Order Manager Helpers consulting services for MailOrder Manager™ users please call us at 941.927.1689 or visit us at: http://www.momhelpers.com.